Uncover Split’s Hidden Secrets
*This experience runs daily
3 hours wandering through the heart of Split
Visiting 1 country: Croatia
Drink like an emperor, dine like a Dalmatian, and do as the Romans do on this tour that shows you the best of local life. Explore the secrets of Diocletian’s Palace while wandering his colossal 1,700 year old estate that makes up the historic center of modern-day Split, stopping to admire ancient architecture and taste local treats.
Begin your royal adventure in the not-so-modest home of the Roman emperor Diocletian. His colossal 1,700-year-old palace is not only a UNESCO World Heritage Monument, but also a popular hangout for the locals of Split and the cast of Game of Thrones.
As we wander into the heart of the city, Peristil, we’ll discover the secrets of Diocletian’s life hidden in the walls of the world’s best preserved Roman palace – find out why he loved salad so much and why a piece of the mythical White Stone can make you happy.
A King’s Feast
It is no secret, however, that the way to a Dalmatian’s heart is through the stomach. Your mouth will surely be watering by now, so we’ll take you for a traditional Dalmatian snack fit for a king – air-dried smoked meat, soft sheep cheese, anchovies and olives. As we eat, your local guide will regale you with Split tales, past and present. And of course a Dalmatian meal is never complete without a glass of wine.
After all, wine is one of our oldest traditions and a staple of the Mediterranean diet, so just stay calm and do as the Romans do!
We’ll finish our tour on the Riva promenade, leaving you feeling as satisfied and pampered as the emperor Diocletian himself. Our local guides will point you to their favorite coffee shops and the best spots for an evening of Dalmatian delicacies and entertainment.
Less than 1 Day
FOODIE'S DELIGHT: CULINARY JOURNEYS, IN DEPTH: CULTURAL & HISTORICAL
- Uncover secrets hidden in the walls of Diocletian’s Palace
- Get the gossip on this famous rags-to-riches emperor
- Dine like an emperor on local delicacies like pršut smoked ham
- Sip a glass of the locals’ preferred lunchtime beverage
Local English-speaking guide, traditional snack, glass of wine
What’s not included
- Entrance fees to cathedral of ex-Emperor mausoleum and underground of the palace
- Extra drinks
- Tips and gratuities for your guide
- Starting time: 9.00 AM, 3.30 PM
- Meeting point:Beginning of the Riva (Promenade) near the mock-up model of the city, 21000 Split, Obala Hrvatskog narodnog preporoda Street No 23.View on Google Maps.
- Ending point: Riva (Promenade).
Your local guide can provide you with the instructions on how to get back to your hotel or you are free to continue your own personal exploration.