Taste Athens Private Tour
*This experience runs from Monday till Saturday from March till November
*This tour is priced for a minimum group size of two travelers. A solo traveler may still book this private experience but will be charged the base rate for two traveler.
*This experience departs at 11:00 am
3 hours tasting Athena!
Visiting 1 country: Greece
See the ‘big five’ of Greek cuisine in their natural habitat: ouzo, feta, olives, olive oil and koulouri on this awesome private tour! If you don’t know what koulouri is you soon will as this Athens tour explains it all live as you eat it (but not before you Instagram it).
Thought Greek food was just feta, olives, and a truck load of moussaka? Wrong! This Athens private food tour sets the story straight on the varied food scene in this ancient city with a modern twist, and you’ll leave full of tasty treats and local knowledge on one of the most underrated cuisines in the world.
You’ll meet your local guide and begin this Athens tour by exploring Kotzia Square, located in the heart of Athens. The square is surrounded by gorgeous neoclassical buildings, which were constructed in the early 18th century, and also some ancient ruins of old houses that you will have a peek at on your way to the market.
Your local guide will show you around the best of the Central Market, taking you to places few tourists venture and helping you to discover a variety of delicious Greek specialties. From the simple koulouri (a round-shaped bread with sesame seeds) and delicate local pastries, to the Greek staples of feta and olives, the Central Market is a feast for the senses. We also try either an invigorating Greek coffee (in the winter) or a cold frappe in warmer days, which are popular local beverages. Athens food is a rich mix of old and new, traditional and modern, and this tour is the perfect way to discover all these aspects.
Next on your private culinary tour of Athens, we then drop by a Greek deli that sells traditional produce and is a popular shopping place for locals. Here you can chat to the shop owner and ask him about all of his produce — and taste some of course! This spot sells the best seasonal food available, perfect for a picnic in the city if you’d like to return another time during your stay in Athens.
Finally on this Athens tour, you’ll make your way to Monastiraki Square where your adventure will end. Your guide will be happy to recommend other places to see in this ancient city and where some of the best local restaurants are located, if you can stomach even more Greek deliciousness! If you feel like slipping into a food coma, your local guide will also give you hand in finding your way back to your accommodation.
This tour is priced for a minimum group size of two travelers. A solo traveler may still book this private experience but will be charged the base rate for two travelers.
Less than 1 Day
FOODIE'S DELIGHT: CULINARY JOURNEYS, IN DEPTH: CULTURAL & HISTORICAL
- Discover the traditional tastes and fresh flavors of Athens
- Delight your senses in Athens’ Central Market
- Learn all about Athens’ culinary culture from your own personal local guide
- Chat with a local deli owner about his specialties and fresh produce
- Tastings of Greek sweets, koulouri, olive oil, olives, cheeses, rusks, Greek alcohol (wine, ouzo), spices, herbs, and traditional meze(a meze is a small appetizer or side dish).
- Visits to markets, Kotzia Square, Avyssinias Square, Monastiraki Square, Athena’s Road, churches, and a traditional deli.
- Additional food or drink not mentioned above
- Items of a personal nature
- Tips or gratuities for your guide
- Duration: 2,5 hours to 3 hours
- Meeting point: In Kotzia Square in front of the Mayor building.
- Starting time: 11.00 AM
- Ending point: Monastiraki Square and metro station