Essential Galicia: A self-Driven Journey
*This experience runs daily from March till December
*This experience departs with maximum 2 passengers
8 days self drive tour in Galicia
Visiting 1 country: Spain
Experience the natural and cultural heritage of Galicia. This tour takes you to some of the most impressive places in the region – amazing mountainous landscapes, wild beaches, excellent gastronomy and friendly people. A pleasure for the senses.
Day 1: Arrival Santiago de Compostela – Ferrol (95km – 1h)
Collect your car upon arrival at the airport by heading to the hall and meeting an OK Rent a Car representative. Then climb into what will be your mode of transportation for this holiday and drive to your first hotel accommodation in Ferrol.
Day 2: Ferrol – Rias Altas – Ferrol (150km – 3h)
Enjoy breakfast at the hotel before heading out to start this full-day tour that takes to the Rias Altas, a breath-taking series of estuaries in northern Galicia, namely Cedeira, Teixido, Cariño, Cap Ortegal and Ortigueira. Spectacular cliffs, beaches, fishing villages, lighthouses and a generous amount of legends are the main ‘ingredients’ of this wonderful coastline.
Day 3: Ferrol – A Coruña – Monforte De Lemos (220km – 2h30)
Bid farewell to Ferrol after breakfast at the hotel, then drive to A Coruña, a city that sits calmly by the Atlantic Ocean. This is a historical city whose history is always closely connected to its old fishing and commercial port. The peninsula on which the Old City stands also contains the Tower of Hercules, one of its most iconic monuments. The Old City is an interesting mix of Romanesque streets, squares and medieval churches. Once you’ve soaked in the atmosphere, continue your trip towards the famous wine region of Ribeira Sacra, stopping to spend the night in Monforte de Lemos.
Day 4: Monforte De Lemos – Ribeira Sacra – Monforte De Lemos
Have breakfast at the hotel before going out to explore Monforte de Lemos and the Ribeira Sacra region. Landscape of natural forests, deep river canyons, traditional villages and an abundance of Romanesque monuments and terraced vineyards paint the backdrop of this bucolic location. Here you can see countless vineyards cultivating the Mencia grape, which is used to make a number of wines. Admire some spectacular views thanks to the wonderful viewpoints that are scattered throughout the area.
Day 5: Monforte De Lemos – Ourense – Pontevedra (165km – 2h)
Depart from Monforte de Lemos after breakfast at the hotel and move west, via Ourense, towards the Rias Bajas (‘Lower Bays’). Stop in Ourense, which has an important monumental heritage and is also known for its thermal water pools along the Miño River. The old city preserves major historical sites, outstanding among which is the cathedral. Continue to Pontevedra, historically famous, culturally rich and containing a significant number of historical buildings, churches and attractive plazas. It has a very well-preserved medieval town Center with lots of charm and a great atmosphere.
Day 6: Pontevedra – Combarro – O Grove – La Toja – Santiago de Compostela (130km – 2hrs)
Wake up to breakfast at the hotel before exploring the ‘Rias Baixas’. Today, we suggest: make a stop at the village of Combarro, which has been declared a ‘property of cultural interest’. It is representative of several traditional architectural elements in Galicia: ‘horreos’, traditional fishermen’s houses, and crosses. Continue to O Grove, the population of which makes a living from farming of mussels, oysters and scallops on wooden platforms out in the water. Afterwards stop at the La Toja, known for its medicinal mineral waters, before continuing to Santiago de Compostela to check in at your hotel.
Day 7: Santiago de Compostela – Finisterre – Santiago (170km – 3hrs)
After breakfast at your hotel, go explore the site known as ‘finis terrae’ (‘the end of the world’). This area is known as the Costa da Morte, which contains some of the most impressive landscapes and wild beaches and perhaps even the most violent waves you have ever seen. The Cabo da Finisterre, the westernmost point of the European Continent, is well worth a visit to stand at what was once the edge of the known world and look out over the Atlantic.
Day 8: Depart Santiago de Compostela
Bid farewell to this beautiful city after breakfast at the hotel and drive back to Santiago de Compostela airport to drop off the car. You’ll be told the return procedure and exact designated area by OK Rent a Car when you pick up the car on arrival day. The OK Rent a Car shuttle service will transfer you to the terminal for you to catch your departure flight back home.
1 Week +
IN DEPTH: CULTURAL & HISTORICAL
Ribeira Sacra & Sil Canyons: This area is home to the largest concentration of Romanesque churches and monasteries in Europe. Spectacular landscape.
Ourense: One of the largest hot spring cities in Europe.
Rias Baixas: Its coastline combines views of the sea and green backdrops with the seafaring traditions of Galicia.
Santiago de Compostela: Enjoy a walking tour of the old town with a visit to the spellbinding Gothic cathedral.
- 7 nights’ accommodation
- 7 breakfasts
- Transportation for the departure transfer on a shared basis, from the car rental company offices to Santiago de Compostela Airport.
- Applicable local taxes (VAT)
- Unlimited mileage
- Emergency Contact service
- Replacement car in case of accident
- Full-Full petrol rate
- All-inclusive insurance
- Meet & Greet on day 1
- Items of a personal nature such as alcoholic drinks, laundry, drinks and meals not stated explicitly in the program
- Any others expenses which are not mentioned in the included section
- National or International flights
- All types of insurance except of mentioned rent-a-car insurance.
- Entry visas to Spain and Gibraltar (if applicable)
- Entrance tickets to any venue, museum or activity
Not Included In Car Hire:
- Damage to a third party or to the hire vehicle due to negligence or inappropriate driving.
- Loss or damage to aerials, jack, safety triangles and vests, windscreen wipers, petrol cap, luggage covers, or any other fixed or mobile component of the vehicle.
- Damage to the engine through negligence.
- Theft of the vehicle with keys left in the ignition.
- Damage caused to the vehicle or to persons through driving under the Influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Fines due to breaking traffic laws and regulations during the hire period are the responsibility of the driver of the vehicle. In the event of a fine being received there will be an administration charge.
- If the car is left outside of rent a car designated area on drop off, customers will be responsible for any costs generated and for any damage to the vehicle due to it being parked outside of the Rent a Car installations.
- Each additional driver will be 6€ per day.
- Any extra equipment (GPS, baby seat etc)
- No insurance cover in Gibraltar.
Pricing is per person in a shared room
|Triple Room||Double Room||Single Room|
|Superior Car Group B||497||597||983|
|Superior Car Group D||513||625||1038|
Day 1,2 Ferrol
- Superior Hotel Category = Parador Ferrol or similar 3*
Day 3,4 Monforte
- Superior Hotel Category = Parador Monforte or similar 4*
Day 5 Pontevedra
- Superior Hotel Category = Parador Pontevedra or similar 4*
Day 6,7 Santiago de Compostela
- Superior Hotel Category = Compostela or similar 4*
cAR HIRE OPTION
CAR HIRE OPTIONS
|VW Polo or similar||B|
|VW Golf or similar||D|
- All-inclusive insurance
- Drivers age from 26 to 75 years old (must have had their driver´s licence for a minimum of one year)
- Pick-up hours are Monday to Sunday, 08:00 to 22:00 hrs. Pick-up outside of these times are subject to a surcharge.
- Drivers who are not citizens of the European Union must present an international driver’s licence together with the original from their country of origin.
- If the customer returns the vehicle earlier than the agreed upon drop-off date stated in the rental contract, the rental company will not refund the customer for any unused days
- Deposit credit card Visa or MasterCard only
- Accident/theft reporting must be notified within 48 hours of incident
- In cases where, following the return of the vehicle, additional cleaning is required due to the car being dirty beyond the level expected from normal vehicle use, an additional charge shall apply, against evidence of the cost of the service provided
Instructions for car collection
Day 1: On arrival at the airport head to the hall to meet with a OK-rent-a-car representative
Day 8: Return procedure and exact designated area will be advised by rent a car company when you pick up the car on arrival day.