Essential Amsterdam: Beer, Bikes and Bites
*This experience runs on Wednesday till Saturday from 20 March till 14 November
*This experience departs at 10:00 am
9 hours is all you got to fall in love with the Dam!
Visiting 1 country: The Netherlands
You’re getting it all, drinks, dykes, and Dutch traditions on this full-day adventure that crams in all the Amsterdam you can handle. Cycle the streets, walk the downtown, snack on local foods, sample local beers and spirits, and fall in love with the ‘Dam. We’ve combined three of our favourite tours into this adventure, so you can make the most of your time in the city.
On this full-day Amsterdam tour, we’ll weave our way both on two feet and two wheels through the city’s history and modern growth, with plenty of tasty stops along the way!
We’ll start out downtown and cycle our way out to the northern dijks (dykes). As we ride, we’ll hit up historical sites in the financial district and get an up-close look at the city’s defenses, learning how windmills, canals, and walls helped to build this nation and its people.
After all that cycling, it’s time to fuel up! We’ll abandon our bikes and immediately start the food adventure part of our Amsterdam tour, with a visit to the Spui square, and the southern part of Amsterdam’s old city center. You’ll find out why locals love snacking on hot, salty vlaams friets by trying some yourself. We’ll also take a quick tour of a cafeteria, go for a stroll through a cheese shop, eat some puffed-up pancakes, and digest while we tour the oldest restaurant district in the center of town. Then, after a sip of liquor, it’ll be three more stops and eventually a sit-down for a beer tasting. Phew!
Next up, we’ll walk off all that food and drink with a wander along the beautiful streets of central Amsterdam, stopping in the northern half of the downtown area to sample local beers and learn about the Belgian and German influences that have shaped the Dutch brewing industry. You’ll learn about the spots where Amsterdam warehouses used to store beer back in the 15th century, then take a detour through the Red Light District to visit a small brewery located in this infamous area.
Our Total Amsterdam Tour will finish here, but you’re free to keep exploring the area — we can give you some local tips so your Amsterdam adventure doesn’t have to end just yet.
Less than 1 Day
FOODIE'S DELIGHT: CULINARY JOURNEYS, IN DEPTH: CULTURAL & HISTORICAL
- Cycle, walk, and explore Amsterdam’s dykes, bridges, downtown canals, and beyond
- Hear the city’s tales of resistance, love, and anarchy
- Declare war on your fries and try a traditional herring
- Visit Amsterdam’s boutique bars and breweries and sip on locally made spirits, straight from the distillery
- See the oldest part of the city and the infamous Red Light District
- Experience three of our top Amsterdam tours in one great combo
- Local English-speaking guide,
- Rental of a Dutch-style back-pedal bike,
- Ferry ride
- Some food and drinks (4-5 afternoon snacks with one traditional drink
- One beer at 3 stops/bars, and one typical Dutch bar snack)
- Additional food and drinks,
- Souvenirs and items of a personal nature
- Tips/gratuities for your guide and bartenders
- Duration: 9 hours
- Meeting point: “Rent-a-Bike” rental shop, Damstraat 20 -22, 1012 HK Amsterdam (http://www.rentabike.nl), in the alleyway next to Rene’s Croissants
- Starting time: 10.00 AM
- Ending point: At a local bar near Central Station