A Stroll Though Dubrovnik’s Historic Center
*This experience runs daily between March and December
*This experience departs at 10:30 am
3 hours wandering around the significant city landmarks
Visiting 1 country: Croatia
In order to understand the present, we must first understand the past! History buff or not, some of the stories of the long and intriguing history of Dubrovnik are bound to fascinate you. Learn how this small city was able to guard its freedom throughout many centuries, check out all of the significant city landmarks with a local and visit one of the oldest working pharmacies in the world at the Franciscan monastery hidden within the city walls!
Come along with us on an in-depth history tour through Dubrovnik. We’ll meet at Pile gate, the western city gate and start off by learning about the fascinating beginnings of Dubrovnik and the construction of the city walls.
Next, we’ll enter the old city and hear about one of the oldest water supply systems in Europe after which you can fill up your water bottle at a 16th-century fountain. Then we’ll visit the nearby Franciscan Monastery, which is home to one of the oldest continually working pharmacies in Europe.
We’ll continue through the narrow alleys of the old town, hearing amazing stories of daily life in Dubrovnik during the 15th and 16th centuries. As we walk, we’ll pass one of the oldest orphanages in Europe and then visit Gundulic Square. The square is named after the renowned 17th century poet Ivan Gundulic, known as the godfather of Croatian literature. The square is also home to a lively, open-air green market, which we’ll stop by briefly to explore.
Next, we’ll marvel at Rector’s Palace up close, where the city’s founding fathers once dispensed their wisdom. It’s also one of the most beautiful palaces within the city walls. We will then continue on towards Dubrovnik’s cathedral where will stop to hear amazing facts about the city’s origins.
Our next stop will be at the small gate to the old city port where we’ll learn about the city’s rich naval history and hear tales about how Dubrovnik defended itself against pirates! Then we’ll stop to admire the Dominican Monastery and see one of the largest Romanesque churches on the Dalmatian coast. Here we’ll meet a local lady who does traditional embroidery work.
Continuing to Zudioska Street, we’ll pass the oldest Sephardic synagogue in the world and then come to our last stop: Luza Square. Here we will see the Church of St. Blaise and learn about Dubrovnik’s Patron Saint. Near the church are Orlando’s Column and Sponza Palace, which you’ll hear some interesting facts about.
At this point, the tour comes to an end. Feel free to continue exploring or head back to your hotel.
Less than 1 Day
IN DEPTH: CULTURAL & HISTORICAL
- Discover the historic highlights of Dubrovnik and explore its spectacular medieval, renaissance and baroque architecture
- Stroll through limestone alleyways as we seek out the best city vistas
- Hear bygone tales of survival, cunning diplomacy, and thriving trade from your local guide
- Learn about the intriguing rise of the Republic of Dubrovnik and its ever-present spirit of freedom
- Visit one of the world’s oldest working pharmacies
- Local English-speaking guide
- Entrance to the Franciscan monastery
- Additional food and drinks
- Souvenirs and personal shopping, tips/gratuities for your guide
- Duration: 3 hours
- Meeting point: The Pile Gate – western entrance to the old town of Dubrovnik.
- Starting time: 10.30 AM
- Ending point: Large Onofrio’s fountain